- This event has passed.
IBM Cloud Microservices Workshop
January 22, 2019 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Microservices? Cloud? Cloud-Native Development? We hear them often and they are everywhere in the industry these days, but what are they for and why should you care? If you are interested or simply curious about any of these, come and join us to find out! In this workshop, professionals from IBM will attempt to demystify these buzzwords and offer you a practitioner’s perspective on what these technologies are and why they matter. You will have a chance to get your hands dirty and build your first Java microservice using Eclipse MicroProfile and Open Liberty, an open programming model and an open source application server for microservices! This is the perfect opportunity to add to your skill set and kickstart your entry into the world of cloud and microservices!
What you’ll need:
A laptop. On your machine, you will need these prerequisites:
- – A Java 8 JDK (e.g. https://adoptopenjdk.net/?variant=openjdk8&jvmVariant=openj9)
– Apache Maven (https://maven.apache.org/)
– A git client (such as git bash https://git-scm.com/downloads)
– An editor with Java support (e.g. Eclipse, VS Code, IntelliJ)
– Docker (Optional – Not required for the workshop but may be needed for what you may want to try afterwards)